Dual Credit

Part VII: Dual Credit Fees/Textbooks

Dual Credit fees (including on-line courses) for the current school year are $65.00 per credit hour of coursework taken (for example: 3 credit hours X $65.00 per credit = $195.00). Students taking Dual Credit Classes may be eligible for scholarships to help reduce costs, depending on scholarship opportunities, local foundation efforts, and local school district policies. Students may also be required to purchase textbooks and supplies.

Part VIII: Faculty

Dual Credit classes can be taught by either CSI faculty members or by high school instructors, who hold appropriate credentials to teach college courses. Courses may be offered via direct instruction, microwave transmission, or internet delivery.

Faculty members teaching college transfer courses should hold a master's degree in the appropriate teaching field, but experienced and highly qualified high school teachers may apply to teach Dual Credit classes without a masterís degree. Determination of the suitability of a teaching candidate for Dual Credit assignment rests with individual College of Southern Idaho departments.

High school Dual Credit instructors are considered to be employees of the College of Southern Idaho in the course of their Dual Credit instruction, as well as faculty members of their own high school. High school instructors teaching Dual Credit courses must complete a job application, supply the college with official university transcripts, attend CSI faculty orientations, and work with their CSI faculty department chair on all instructional issues related to the college course. Dual Credit instructors will be evaluated according to CSI guidelines for faculty assessment. In turn, the college will offer faculty development opportunities to Dual Credit instructors, as well as mentoring and support as needed, and compensate the instructor at the standard rate for CSI Dual Credit faculty members.

If CSI assigns its regular faculty members to teach a Dual Credit course on the high school campus, the high school administration should work with the college to ensure a successful semester. The college instructor will need information concerning parking, restrooms, mail service, photocopy facilities, and audio-visual equipment. High school administration should be given the name of a college liaison and a telephone number to call in case of an emergency involving a CSI faculty member.

Part IX: Student and Parent Questions and Concerns

Instructors are available to answer questions about course materials or class policies. Students with concerns about their performance in the course or who are not sure whether they understand an assignment should schedule conferences with their instructors. Everyone at the College of Southern Idaho is dedicated to helping students achieve their goals; students are encouraged to ask questions.

Sometimes students have complaints about their instructors. Students who voice complaints to high school counselors should be encouraged to attempt to resolve the matter with their college instructor. If the student is uncomfortable speaking with the instructor or is dissatisfied with the result of the conversation, the student should be directed to the instructor's department chair.

Parents care about the educational progress of their children and sometimes want to discuss student complaints or other issues with an instructor or a department chair. In general, college faculty members and department chairs do not speak with parents about student-related issues unless the student is also present. Parents who believe that a private conference is necessary should work through one of the college deans to arrange the conference. Requests to access student records should be directed to the CSI Registrar.

back to top | Previous | Next