Skip to Main Site Navigation Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Search Skip to Quick Links Skip to Content Skip to Footer Skip To Left Navigation


It is essential that you understand and comply with the Department of Homeland Security restrictive employment regulations. Ignorance of the regulations does not excuse a student from the serious ramifications of unauthorized employment, which may result in deportation. You must obtain appropriate employment authorization before you engage in any type of employment.

Definition of Employment

"Employment" is any work performed or services provided (including self-employment) in exchange for money or other benefits or compensation (i.e. free room and board in exchange for babysitting).

Social Security Number

Individuals who are authorized to be employed in the U.S. must have a Social Security Number in order to be paid.

How to get a Social Security Card

On-Campus Employment

If your I-20 was issued by CSI, you may work part-time (20 hours per week or less) on the CSI campus during fall and spring semesters. If you are not in lawful F-1 status, you are not eligible for on-campus employment. YOU MAY NOT WORK OFF CAMPUS. The CSI budget is limited, and most international students only work 10 hours a week. Do not depend on this employment to be your only means of income, it is insufficient.

Timesheets are required to be turned into the international advisor after each pay term. Timesheets must be filled out in ink, signed by the employee and employer. If students fail to submit this in a timely manner, their paycheck may be postponed until the following month.