Skip to Main Site Navigation Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Search Skip to Quick Links Skip to Content Skip to Footer Skip To Left Navigation

Transfer Process

The term "transfer" only applies to students who come to College of Southern Idaho from another U.S. college, university, and high school or from a language program under the F-1 status.

Am I Eligible?

  • You must have been maintaining lawful F-1 status throughout your program of study.
  • If you are out of status at CSI, you must depart the U.S. and make a new entry before attending another U.S. school.

When can I Transfer?

Graduating students beginning a new program of study must transfer their immigration status within the 60- day grace period following successful completion of the current program of study or period of authorized Optional Practical Training.

Students intending to transfer prior to completion of their program should request the transfer prior to their last date of attendance at CSI. Speak with an international student advisor to determine the transfer release date.

You must begin your study at the new school in the next available regular academic term, and no later than 5 months after the date of your last attendance at CSI.

How do I Transfer?

Step 1:

  • Apply to another U.S. school; be admitted as a new student and bring proof that you have been admitted.
  • Meet with an international student advisor to discuss your plan.
  • Complete the Transfer-Out Form to notify the International Student Services Office of your intent to transfer. You must indicate the name of the school you intend to transfer to and your expected completion date at CSI.

Step 2:

  • The International Student Services Office releases your SEVIS record to your new school after your last date of attendance at CSI.
  • Your new school cannot create an I-20 until after the "release date," the point when CSI transfers your SEVIS record.

Step 3:

Most schools ask you to complete a transfer clearance form signed by the International Student Advisor at CSI before issuing you a new I-20.

What if I am traveling between my transfers?

  • If you are going to travel outside the U.S. after leaving CSI, you must re-enter the country with the I-20 you obtain from your new school. Once your SEVIS record is released to the new school, your CSI I-20 and travel endorsement will be invalid.

If you are re-entering the U.S. with the "transfer pending" I-20 from your new school, you may use a valid F-1 Visa issued for attendance at CSI or previous school.