Resident Status for Tuition Purposes


Resident Status for Tuition Purposes

Residency determination for tuition purposes is governed by rules and regulations adopted by the College of Southern Idaho Board of Trustees and Idaho Code § 33-2110, § 33-2110A and § 33-2110B.

Based on information provided by the applicant, the Office of Admissions makes an initial determination concerning the student’s residency status for tuition purposes (e.g. Idaho/out-of-state, in-district/out-of-district).  The student’s residency status remains unchanged unless the student submits a Residency Re-Determination form with the required documentation to the Office of the Registrar on or before the 10th calendar day of the semester. Re-determination is made based on the evidence supplied.  Qualifications for residency must be met prior to the opening day of the semester for which reclassification is sought. 

In general, a student enrolling into the College of Southern Idaho shall not be deemed a resident of the community college district, or of a county, or of the State of Idaho, unless the student established domicile primarily for purposes other than education within said district, county, or the State, for at least twelve (12) months continuously prior to the beginning of the term for which the student enrolls.

Students who are Idaho residents but who are NOT legal residents of Twin Falls, Jerome, Ada, Canyon, and Kootenai counties are considered out-of-district students.  Out-of-district students are initially billed in-district tuition and fees plus the out-of-district portion of tuition ($50 per credit up to a maximum of 10 credits or $500 per semester; $3,000 lifetime limit). Out-of-district students MUST submit a Certificate of Residency form at least once every academic year , and in some cases, every academic term, depending on the county (see county clerk for specific instructions), The deadline to submit forms to the counties clerk offices is December 1st  for the Fall semester and May 1st   for the Spring semester . When an approved certificate of county residency is received by CSI the fees will be credited back to the student’s account.  If an approved certificate of county residency is not received by CSI you will be responsible for paying the fees.  Residency forms can be found at

State of Idaho Residency and District Residency

Students who enroll at the College of Southern Idaho may qualify for Idaho and/or district residency, respectively, for tuition purposes under one or more of the following criteria (documented proof may be required):

  1. Student who domiciled in the State of Idaho/district primarily for purposes other than education for at least twelve (12) months continuously next preceding the opening day of the term for which the student matriculates at the College of Southern Idaho and who receives less than fifty percent (50%) of his/her support from a parent, parents or legal guardians who are not Idaho/district residents for voting purposes.    
  2. Student who has domiciled in Idaho/district, who has qualified or would otherwise be qualified under the provisions of this policy, and who is away from Idaho/district for a period of less than one (1) calendar year and has not established legal residence elsewhere provided a twelve (12) month period of continuous residence has been established immediately prior to departure.
  3. Student whose parent, parents or court-appointed guardians are domiciled in Idaho/district for at least twelve (12) months continuously next preceding the opening day of the term for which the student matriculates and provide more than fifty percent (50%) of the student’s support.
  4. Student whose spouse is classified, or is eligible for classification, as a resident of Idaho/district for tuition purposes.  
  5. Student who is a member of the United States Armed Forces, stationed in Idaho/ district on military orders.
  6. Student who is an officer or enlisted member of the Idaho National Guard.
  7. Student whose parent, parents or legal guardians are members of the United States Armed Forces and stationed in Idaho/district on military orders and who receives fifty percent (50%) or more of support from parents or legal guardians.  The student, while in continuous attendance, shall not lose his/her residency status when his/her parents are transferred on military orders.
  8. Student who separated, under honorable conditions, from the United States Armed Forces after at least two (2) years of active service, who at the time of separation designates Idaho/district as his/her intended domicile or who has Idaho/ district as the home of record in service and enters CSI within one (1) year of the date of separation.


  • Domiciled means an individual’s true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation.  It is the place where the student intends to remain, and to which he/she expects to return when he/she leaves without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere.
  • Continuously resided means physical presence in the state of Idaho for twelve (12) consecutive months without being absent from Idaho no more than a total of thirty (30) days during the twelve (12) months.  Absence from the state for normal vacations, family travel, work assignments, short-term military training, and similar occasions totaling not more than thirty (30) days during the twelve (12) month qualifying period, in and of itself, will not be regarded as negating the continuous residence of the individual.
  • Support means financial support given to the student during the twelve (12) months preceding the opening date of the term for which resident status is requested.  Any student who receives fifty percent (50%) or more of his/her support may demonstrate this by showing that he/she is claimed as a dependent by a parent or legal guardian for income tax purposes or that a parent or legal guardian provides fifty percent (50%) or more of the cost of attending an institution according to the CSI Financial Aid Office or that other similar evidence exists of parental support.
  • Primarily educational purposes means a student enrolled for more than six (6) credit hours in any semester during the past twelve (12) month period.
  • Armed Forces means United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard; it does not include National Guard from states other than Idaho and other reserve forces.

The College reserves the right to audit students at any time with regard to eligibility for Idaho/district resident status and to reclassify students who are registered under an improper classification.  Idaho/district residency classification or reclassification based upon materially erroneous, false or misleading statements or omissions by or in support of the applicant shall be set aside retroactively upon the discovery of the erroneous nature of such statements.  Any student having paid less than required to the College because of an erroneous classification or reclassification which is subsequently set aside, will repay any and all amounts not properly paid because of the erroneous classification or reclassification.  If a student concealed information or furnished false or misleading information and was classified incorrectly as a result, he or she will also be subject to appropriate disciplinary and/or legal action.  
It shall be the responsibility of the student to notify the Office of the Registrar of possible changes in residency and to furnish all requested documentation in a timely fashion.  The burden of proof in requesting a change in resident status rests with the student.  Within thirty (30) days following the receipt of the student’s written request to appeal the decision, the Office of the Registrar shall issue a determination and notify the student in writing.  Students are responsible for paying the tuition and fees owed on their accounts by the established due date.  Resident tuition rates shall be effective for the semester in which a student is reclassified to resident status.  If residency (Idaho and/or district) is granted after payment was received, the difference will be refunded within a reasonable time to the student (a Request for Refund form must be filled out and submitted to the Business Office).  

If the student is not satisfied with the determination of the Office of the Registrar, he/she can appeal directly to the Registrar. If the student continues to have concerns he/she can appeal to the Associate Vice-President of Student Services. All appeals must be submitted (or postmarked), in writing and accompanied by all required documentation, within ten (10) calendar days after the date of notification of residency decision that is being appealed. Failure to comply shall constitute a waiver of all claims to reclassification for the applicable term.

Tuition and Fee Waivers/Reimbursements

Out-of-state, out-of-district, or in-district tuition and fees MAY be waived in part or in full or special rates may apply under various circumstances:

  • Full-time regular CSI employees, their spouses and children may register for credit classes at CSI without paying tuition and fees, however, they are still responsible for any special fees, zero credit course fees, and book/supply costs.
  • Senior citizens, individuals who are sixty (60) years or older, can apply for a CSI Gold card through the Office on Aging and with that card they may register for credit classes as a non-degree seeking student at CSI without having to pay tuition and fees, however, they are still responsible for any special fees, zero credit course fees, and book/supply costs. 
  • Student who graduated from an accredited Idaho secondary school and enrolls at CSI the term immediately following graduation (does not include summer term) is considered an Idaho resident for tuition purposes.
  • Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) – CSI participates in WUE, a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE).  Residents of WICHE states may be eligible enroll in participating two- and four‑year college programs outside their home states at a reduced tuition rate.  WICHE states include: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. If you have questions about WUE, contact the Financial Aid Office.
  • Student who, regardless of current domicile, is a member of one the following Idaho American Indian tribes whose traditional and customary tribal boundaries included portions of the state of Idaho, or whose Indian tribe was granted reserved lands within the state of Idaho: (i) Coeur d’Alene tribe, (ii) Shoshone-Bannock tribes, (iii) Shoshone-Paiute tribes, (iv) Nez Perce tribe, and (v) Kootenai tribe shall be considered Idaho resident for purposes of tuition.
  • Immigrant alien with “refugee,” “asylee,” or “conditional entrant” status (or dependent children of such refugee, asylee, or conditional entrant) who comes directly to Idaho/district from a refugee facility or port of debarkation and has not established domicile in another state/district is considered Idaho/district resident for tuition purposes. 
  • Summer term - special rates apply as approved by the CSI Board of Trustees.
  • Dual credit/high school students - special rates apply as approved by the CSI Board of Trustees.

Tuition waiver requests that do not fall under one of the above categories must be submitted to the College President for consideration.

In addition to tuition waivers granted by the College, some students may have some or all of their tuition and fees, room and board, and other expenses paid for or reimbursed through scholarships, grants, stipends, and a variety of state or federal programs (e.g. student participating in intercollegiate athletics, cheer leaders, dance team members, student senators, ambassadors, Program Board members, Diversity Council members, eligible veterans and disabled veterans’ spouses and children (when eligible), WIA program participants, IREX students, etc.).