South Central Idaho Virtual Tour
     
 
  spacer image

 

 • Activities:

»  Auto Touring
»  Biking
»  Bird Watching

»  Hiking

»  Nature Walks
»  Wilderness Area
»  Wildlife Viewing

 

 

 
   

Shoshone Falls
Located in Twin Falls, ID

Thousands of people travel to Shoshone Falls each year to marvel at a sight many call "the Niagra of the West". In fact, Shoshone Falls tumble 212 feet to the canyon floor -- more than 50 feet farther than the famous falls on the New York - Ontario border. The waterfall's terraced thousand-foot span is truly one of Idaho's most magnificent sites.

Springtime is the best season to visit Shoshone Falls. In years of heavy precipitation, the Snake River swells with snowmelt, creating an awesome display at the waterfall. Swirling mist, swooping birds, and rainbows rise from the sheets of water. Overlooks give visitors great vantage points for sightseeing and photography. Later in the year, much of the river's flow is diverted to produce hydroelectric power and irrigate Idaho's fertile farmlands, and Shoshone Falls' cliffs may be nearly dry. But even when water levels are low, there's always plenty to see and do at Shoshone Falls Park.

History

Attracted by the roar, mid-19th century pioneers on the Oregon Trail would sometimes hike several miles out of their way to see the falls, which were named after Indians who lived in the region.

A Mr. Wolgamoth obtained squatters rights to the land at Shoshone Falls prior to 1883. In 1883, W.A. Clark of Butte Montana, John A. Creighton, Charles H. Dewey, and E.L. Stone , all of Omaha Nebraska bought the property from Mr. Wolgamoth and paid him in Valentine script.

They spent about $50,000 in building roads, a ferry, and a two story hotel in order to accommodate visitors. These early visitor amenitties are long gone.

After the death of all but Mr. Clark, Mr. Frederick J. Adams bought out Mr. Clark's interest and acquired the balance from the different estates.

In 1932, Frederick J. Adams and Martha Stone Adams donated the Shoshone Falls park to the City of Twin Falls with the stipulation that the land be maintained as a public park for park purposes only and for the beneficial use and enjoyment of all people.

The year after the Adams donated the land, the State of Idaho donated land on the West Side of the park to the City of Twin Falls.

For More Information: