Skip to Main Site Navigation Skip to Top Navigation Skip to Search Skip to Quick Links Skip to Content Skip to Footer Skip To Left Navigation

Current Students

Semester Check In

International students must check in with the DSO or PDSO within 30 days of the start of the semester.

Failure to check-in can put your F-1 status at risk.

Working as an International Student on Campus

If your I-20 was issued by CSI, you may work part-time (20 hours per week or less) on the CSI campus during fall and spring semesters. If you are not in lawful F-1 status, you are not eligible for on-campus employment. YOU MAY NOT WORK OFF CAMPUS.

Timesheets must be filled out in ink, signed by the employee and employer. If students fail to submit this in a timely manner, their paycheck may be postponed until the following month. 

Traveling Home for The Summer

Your current F-1 program terminates if your absence from the U.S. is over 5 months unless you have been authorized for study/research abroad.

Travel Endorsement
You need to obtain a signature from the DSO or PDSO on page 3 of your current I-20 in order to travel outside the U.S. and re-enter as a continuing F-1 student.

Although a travel signature is valid for one year from the date issued, it is recommended that you request a new signature if the previous one will be over 6 months old at the time of reentry.

Allow one week for a travel endorsement request.

Required Documents for Reentry
• Valid passport.
• Valid F-1 Visa (except for short trips to Canada, Mexico, and Adjacent Islands).
• Current I-20 with a travel endorsement.
• Financial documentation (e.g. bank statement, assistantship/scholarship letter).

Automatic Revalidation

Most lawful F-1 students are eligible for automatic revalidation of Visa. This allows students to travel to Canada, Mexico, and Adjacent Islands (except Cuba) and reenter the U.S. on an expired F-1 Visa as long as the trip does not exceed 30 days and you have an I-94 card in your passport.

The following individuals are not eligible for the automatic revalidation.
• Any F-1 students who apply for a new visa in Canada, Mexico or Adjacent Islands.
• Citizens of "state sponsors of terrorism" designated by the U.S. Dept. of State.

Transferring to Another Institution

Transferring Out of CSI:

Step 1:
• Apply to another U.S. school; be admitted as a new student and bring proof that you have been admitted.
• Meet with the CSI DSO to discuss your plan.
• Complete the Transfer-Out Form. You must indicate the name of the school you intend to transfer to and your expected completion date at CSI. Turn in to the DSO.

Step 2:
• Your SEVIS record is released to your new school after your last date of attendance at CSI.
• Your new school cannot create an I-20 until after the "release date," the point when CSI transfers your SEVIS record.

Step 3:
• Most schools ask you to complete a transfer clearance form signed by the DSO or PDSO at CSI before issuing you a new I-20.

Traveling between transfers:
• If you are going to travel outside the U.S. after leaving CSI, you must re-enter the country with the I-20 you obtain from your new school. Once your SEVIS record is released to the new school, your CSI I-20 and travel endorsement will be invalid.

• If you are reentering the U.S. with the "transfer pending" I-20 from your new school, you may use a valid F-1 Visa issued for attendance at CSI or previous school.

Graduating students beginning a new program of study must transfer their immigration status within the 60- day grace period following successful completion of the current program of study or period of authorized Optional Practical Training.

Students intending to transfer prior to completion of their program
should request the transfer prior to their last date of attendance at CSI. Speak with an international student advisor to determine the transfer release date.

You must begin your study at the new school in the next available
regular academic term, and no later than 5 months after the date of your last attendance at CSI

Maintaining F1 Status

If you have questions about maintaining your immigration status contact the Registrar's Office. The Designated School Official, Lynn Rivers, is here to help with any other questions you may have.

In order for you to stay temporarily in the U.S. as a lawful F-1 student, you must comply with specific regulations of Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which are listed below is referred to as "maintaining status" or "being in status."

  • Enrolled full-time (12 credits, maximum online 3 credits online during fall and spring semesters) at CSI. Classes taken for 'audit' do not count toward the full course of study.
    • Students may be eligible for annual vacation in summer. If not, please consult with the Designated School Official to determine the number of hours you need to complete.
    • For students beginning study at CSI in the summer, the condensed summer schedule requires students to enroll in 6 hours for summer semester for F-1 eligibility. All summer hours must be taken in person. Online summer credits may be selected, but do not count toward
      summer enrollment for F-1 eligibility when a student begins their studies at CSI in the summer semester.
  • Keep your passport valid at all times.
  • Complete your degree or request a program extension prior to the program end date specified on your I-20.
  • Comply with required procedures for a school transfer.
  • Obtain a new I-20 for change in educational level, major or source of funding.
  • Obtain an appropriate employment authorization for any work and do not be employed on-campus for more than 20 hrs/week while school is in session.
  • Update your current residential U.S. address via MyCSI within 10 days of any change.
  • Depart the U.S. within the 60-day period following completion of your program; depart the U.S. within 15 days if you cancel enrollment in the middle of a semester or depart without completing your program of study.
  • Disclose fully and truthfully all information requested by DHS.
  • Obey all federal and state laws that prohibit the commission of crimes of violence.

If you fail to comply with any of the above regulations, you will be considered out of status. Subsequently, your status violation will be reported to DHS via SEVIS, and you will be ineligible for any immigration benefits.

Can I get a Social Security Card


Visits the office of Social Security at the address below with the following documentation.

  1. Be enrolled in classes (full time-12 credits or more)
  2. Copy of your class schedule
  3. Letter from International Student Office stating your status with the college
  4. Letter from your potential employer confirming job opportunity 
  5. Passport
  6. I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record)
  7. I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status)
  8. Social Security Application completed

Social Security Office
1437 Fillmore Street
Twin Falls, ID 83301
Phone: (208) 734-3985

Completing My Program/Departing CSI

Completion of Program

F-1 students who successfully complete a program of study have 60 days to take one of the following actions unless you have applied for an Optional Practical Training prior to degree completion.

  • Depart the U.S.
  • Initiate the SEVIS transfer or change of level to begin a new educational program.
  • Change non-immigration status to remain lawfully in the U.S.

School Transfer
If you intend to transfer to another U.S. school, you must complete a Transfer-out Request Form. Once an International Student Services Office advisor verifies your eligibility for school transfer, your SEVIS record will be released to a new school. Then the new school issues you an I-20.

Important documents
  • Passport
    • Your passport must be valid for 6 months into the future at all times while in the U.S.
    • If it is expiring, you should contact the embassy/consulate office of your home country within the U.S. to start the renewal process. Foreign embassy/consulate offices in the U.S.:
  • F-1 Visa Stamp
    • Your F-1 Visa stamp is just permission to enter the U.S. as an international student. It has nothing to do with your authorized length of stay in the country. Your Visa can be expired while you remain in the U.S. to pursue your program of study.
    • A Visa can only be secured at a U.S. embassy/consulate office overseas. It is always recommended that you apply for a Visa in your home country.
  • ▪ I-94 Card
    • It’s a very important document for your status. Your I-94 card for "F-1 D/S" and a current I-20 are what allow you to remain in the country as an F-1 student.
    • D/S stands for "duration of status" meaning that you are permitted to stay in the U.S. as long as you pursue your program of study that is documented on your I-20.
    • Customs and Border Protection (CBP) now gathers travelers’ arrival/departure information automatically from their electronic travel records.
    • Because advance information is only transmitted for air and sea travelers, CBP will still issue a paper form I-94 at land border ports of entry.
    • If travelers need the information from their form I-94 admission record to verify immigration status or employment authorization, the record number and other admission information they are encouraged to get their I 94 number by going to this link:
  • Form I-20: Certificate of Eligibility
    • An I-20 is issued by the U.S. school you attend and allows you to: 1) apply for an F-1 Visa; 2) enter/re-enter the U.S. to pursue your program of study; and 3) receive other immigration benefits.
    • The I-20 must remain current at all times throughout your study.
    • If you cannot complete your program before the end date on the document, you must apply for a program extension with the International Student Services office prior to the end date.
    • Similarly, if any of the information on the document changes (i.e, legal name, major, and source of funding, educational level) you must obtain a new I-20